Saturday, March 3, 2012

What kinds of things are forgotten when someone suffers from dissociative amnesia?

Call it curiosity, but I was reading about dissociative amnesia which is a type of amnesia that occurs without a specific medical reason, usually due to something the person is trying to block out such as a trauma.



I would like to know exactly what kinds of things people forget when suffering from dissociative amnesia. I read some things about forgetting quite a lot about one's life-- sometimes childhood events or people, but I can't seem to find any specifics. If anyone has an idea, I'd love if I could get my question answered.



ThanksWhat kinds of things are forgotten when someone suffers from dissociative amnesia?
I have dissociative amnesia. I do not remember any of my life prior to the age of 13. I know because I have been told that my childhood was full of abuse, sexual, physical, and mental..... but I don't remember any of it. My father is a convicted pedophile, my mother has Borderline Personality Disorder and was (and still is) very abusive. I only started retaining menories after I was placed in a foster home at the age of 12.



The amnesia is usually of the traumatic event plus maybe a little time surrounding it. If the trauma is ongoing many years can be lost.What kinds of things are forgotten when someone suffers from dissociative amnesia?
I don't remember

No comments:

Post a Comment